Thursday, July 9, 2009

Read any good books lately?

I have a sister in law who makes DARLING cards, is a great seamstress (makes VERY cute little girl clothes) and recommends great books. Last weekend when we were visiting Trevor's parents I read a book that she had given their dad for Father's Day. It was excellent. It was written by a woman who survived the genocide in Rwanda. It was so well written and thought provoking. I felt shocked that something like this happened not so very long ago, strengthened by her words about forgiveness, and humbled by her faith. If you are like me and keep a running list of books you want to read then add this one to it!

5 comments:

rachel said...

I LOVED this book!!! It is life changing...Cheryl Bullock actually recommended it to me.

Cindy said...

Another book along the same lines as this is "Girl Soldier" by Faith McDonnell.

Synopsis: For several decades a brutal army of rebels has been raiding villages in northern Uganda, kidnapping children and turning them into soldiers or wives of commanders. More than 30,000 children have been abducted over the last twenty years and forced to commit unspeakable crimes. Grace Akallo was one of these.

It's a great book which I highly recommend. I need to put your book recommendation on hold at our library.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked it - it's definitely one I will read more than once. You recommend great books as well - I read The Book Thief a few months ago after talking to you about it, along with The Glass Castle. Enjoyed both immensely!

Stacy Lynn Carroll said...

Hey! I just finished reading that book too!! We are reading it in my book group this month. She absolutely amazed me the way she was able to overcome her hatred and forgive the murderers! So inspiring!

TnD said...

I need to pick this book up. I heard about her and think her story/plight is incredible.